La Fonda believes that sustainable operations go hand in hand with our mission of historical preservation and community-building. As a caretaker of Santa Fe traditions, we bear a responsibility to protect the beauty and viability of our treasured home. For several years we have been implementing green initiatives throughout the hotel, with the goal of becoming as environmentally friendly as possible in all of our operations. These initiatives to date include:
- Recycling cardboard, plastic, glass, aluminum, and paper. All the guestrooms now have recycling bins.
- Implementing water-saving measures, including guest towels changed only by request, linens changed every fourth day, and restaurant water served by request.
- Installation of low-flow toilets and shower heads.
- Installation of energy-efficient, double pane guest room windows.
- Reducing paper consumption, relying on email and message boards, as well as washable cloth napkins, towels, and tablecloths.
- Recycling computer equipment and fluorescent bulbs.
- Using recycled materials in note pads, brochures, flyers, and other necessary hotel collateral.
- Use of biodegradable straws and eco-friendly, recycled takeout containers for food and beverage operations.
- Reducing electricity demand by using energy-saving light bulbs, hand dryers, flat-screen televisions, and automatic lights in basement storerooms.
- Installation of state-of-the-art temperature controls in all guest rooms.
- Upgraded guest room insulation.
- Using low-VOC paints, and environmentally friendly cleaning products.
- Donating lightly used soft goods and amenities to local charities.
- Sourcing food locally wherever possible at our restaurants and catering operations.
Our Green Team of employees is continually researching ways to reduce our environmental impact in every department of the hotel, a mission that is supported at the highest levels.
We take great comfort in knowing that every step we take helps to preserve a cultural institution, city, and environment we treasure for future generations.